Sunday, November 18, 2012

Hilary Hahn Concert


Went to the Utah Symphony concert last night and it was awesome. They began the program with Mozart's Symphony No. 41, his last and arguably the best known. It seems the 4th Movement at least is heard more frequently than his other symphonic works. Be it on classical radio or in some soundtrack. I would wager many people unfamiliar with Mozart's symphony's would recognize the 4th Movement.

That was followed by the Mahler's Symphony No. 10 1st Movement: Adagio. For those that don't know, the reason only one movement was played, is that it is the only one he completed before he died. Those familiar with classical music are aware of the curse of the 9th symphony. From Beethoven on, it seems all the great symphonic composers die after they complete their 9th symphony. Of course this is pure superstition and not at all true, as many composers have more than 9 symphonies.

Hilary Hahn anchored the program with Korngold's violin concerto, and she was stupendous. Korngold's music drips with unabashed romanticism, and this concerto in particular, Hollywood 'schmulziness'. The 3rd Movement is just fun. You can really hear some of his "film score" traits come out in it. Hilary was in top form, of course I'm somewhat biased. I have been fan of Hilary since she was 18 when I first heard her and own several of her recordings.

I just happened to have one of her recordings in the car. So still in the mood I listened to it on the way home. I have to say, it just ain't the same listening to recording. There is an energy in a live performance that gets lost on the recording. I guess I'll just have to bide my time till the next the concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment